Werther's who? Masala chai + apple cider + buttery caramel for the perfect holiday treat.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, stir together the cider and chai. Boil until reduced to about a 1/2 cup of dark syrup, which will take about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line the bottoms and sides of an 8x8 metal baking pan with parchment paper (using two overlapping sheets).
- Once the cider and chair are reduced, turn off the heat and stir in the butter, granulated and brown sugar, and heavy cream. Turn the heat back on to medium and attach a candy thermometer.
- Watching carefully, simmer the mixture until it reaches 252 degrees fahrenheit, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat immediately and stir in the sea salt. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Let set for at least two hours at room temperature. When set, cut into small pieces using a sharp knife coated in neutral oil. Wrap each caramel in a square of wax paper or parchment, twisting off the ends to seal.