By Hallie Sharpless
"This is my go to banana muffin recipe. It's ridiculously simple, especially if you choose to use the blender to combine your wet ingredients. Feel free to adjust the spices and mix-ins, or leave them out altogether. How good would these be with a dash of espresso powder and Dona’s Dirty Chai Concentrate? Or how about a few teaspoons of fresh ginger, Dona’s Turmeric Concentrate, and some turmeric Zero Waste Spice Dust? The possibilities are endless! They have the loveliest of dooms thanks to a higher initial temperature compared to other recipes, and rise up to match (or beat) your favorite coffee shop’s muffin. Happy baking."
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain or Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup oil (I use olive but a neutral vegetable oil or coconut is fine)
- 3 Tablespoons milk, buttermilk, or plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp Unsweetened Masala Chai Concentrate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (can reduce to ⅔ if you prefer a less sweet muffin)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of Zero Waste Spice Dust, Masala Chai
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional: ½ cup of chopped walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts, chocolate chips…
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2–3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Masala Chai Concentrate
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: pinch of salt/ Zero Waste Spice Dust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line or butter a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, egg, yogurt/sour cream, oil, milk, vanilla, and Masala Chai Concentrate. OR, you can simply blend all these ingredients in the blender till smooth if you're lazy like me. Mix or Blend in the sugar.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, Zero Waste Spice Dust, and salt until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredient mixture overtop of the flour mixture and stir + fold with a spatula, just until smooth and no dry spots remain.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin, filling each cup to the rim
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops are a deep golden-brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Make the icing by whisking together the sifted confectioner’s sugar, Masala Chai Concentrate, extract, spices, and salt (if using). Drizzle liberally over top of your cooled muffins.