Festive & warming ginger and cinnamon + fresh cardi and fennel + a hint of black pepper meet your classic chewy on the inside, crisp on the outside molasses cookies
- 2 and 1/4 cups (281g) all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup DONA Still Life Herbal Tea
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) unsulphued or dark molasses
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Course sugar for covering cookies
- Infuse the butter with the tea. In a small saucepan, cook the butter over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the butter comes to a boil. Stir in Still Life. Turn off the beat & let sit for 15 minutes. Using a mesh straining bag, strain butter mixture into a bowl of a stand mixer. Let butter cool completely to room temp.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- Once the butter has completely cooled, beat the butter and both sugars together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 2 minutes. Add the molasses and beat until combined. Then add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be slightly sticky. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour and up to 2–3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator. If the cookie dough chilled longer than 2 hours, let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. The cookies may not spread in the oven if the dough is that cold. Roll cookie dough, 1.5 Tablespoon each, into balls. Roll each in course sugar and arrange 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges appear set. *Note - for thicker cookies, freeze the dough completely before baking. Bake for longer, about 15 minutes or so, until cookies are set.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.