Yield: 8 to 10 small pancakes
For the Bergamot Maple:
- 8oz pure maple syrup
- 2 T Grayscale Loose Leaf Tea
Combine maple and Grayscale Loose Leaf Tea in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to just under a simmer. Turn off the heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes, then strain and cool.
For the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- ¾ cup/102 grams all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup/50 grams granulated sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup/170 grams whole-milk ricotta
- ¼ cup/61 grams buttermilk, preferably whole milk
- 2 tablespoons/28 grams unsalted butter, melted, plus room-temperature butter for cooking and serving
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Heat a griddle or large nonstick pan or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium-low.
Add the sugar to a large bowl, then finely grate the zest of the lemon directly over the sugar. Using your fingers, gently rub the zest into the sugar. Add the vanilla and whisk to evenly moisten. Add the eggs and whisk until foamy on top, then add the ricotta, buttermilk and butter, and whisk until well blended. Add the flour mixture and gently stir until no traces of flour remain.
Generously butter the griddle, then drop a scant ¼ cup batter onto it. Repeat, spacing the rounds at least an inch apart. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and the tops are bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with more butter and the remaining batter. Serve warm, slathered with butter and blueberry syrup or other toppings if you’d like.