- 2 sticks + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (8oz / 227g)
- 1/4 cup Dona The Field loose leaf tea
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour (8oz / 228g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (1.2oz / 35g)
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt (0.11oz / 3g)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (5.3oz / 150g)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground fennel seed
- 2 large egg yolks (1.1oz / 32g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup demerara sugar
- candied fennel to garnish
- In a small saucepan, cook the butter over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the butter comes to a boil. Remove from heat & stir in The Field tea. Let sit for 15 minutes. Using a mesh straining bag, strain butter mixture into a bowl of a stand mixer. Let butter cool completely to room temp
- Mix the dry ingredients: While the butter is cooling, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, fennel and salt, and set aside.
- Cream the butter and granulated sugar: Set the bowl of solidified butter on the mixer and attach the paddle. Add the sugar and lemon zest, and beat on medium until the mixture is thoroughly combined and pale, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla: Use a flexible spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg yolks and vanilla. Beat on medium until just until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture: Turn off the mixer and add all of the flour mixture, then mix on the lowest speed just until the dry ingredients are incorporated and you have a smooth dough. Fold the dough by hand with a flexible spatula several times to make sure everything is well mixed and no floury spots remain.
- Form the dough into logs: Divide the dough in half and place each half on a 10-inch-long sheet of parchment paper. Roll each piece of dough into a tight 8-inch-long cylinder (see page 21 for a visual guide to rolling dough into logs). Wrap each parchment log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough in sugar and slice: Remove one log of dough from the refrigerator and unwrap. Sprinkle the demerara sugar across a clean work surface, then roll the log in the sugar, pressing down very firmly as you roll so the sugar adheres. Continue to roll and press until the entire log is coated. Use a sharp, thin-bladed knife to cut the log crosswise into ¼- to ½-inch-thick coins, rotating the log as you cut to avoid flattening one side. Transfer the coins to one of the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 16 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets.
Intentionally sourced teas & tisanes. Impeccably crafted to showcase intricate flavors found at the farm level. Thoughtfully brewed for one-of-a-kind complexity.Shop All →